Friday, May 26, 2006

One. still top of the list

No pictures, but dinner last night was amazing and worthy of description. Dad, Jon and I went to the old stomping ground: One. Midtown Kitchen for a graduation celebration dinner since I am finishing college and Jon is finishing middle school. In my opinion, One. is one of those places that is consistently good. Their menu, which changes daily, had some delicious standbys as well as new surprises, and I can always find something delicious that suits my mood and appetite. Last night was no exception.

Thankfully at last night's meal I was allowed to take charge and choose the appetizers. I selected the buffalo mozzarella and the fried green tomatoes. The mozzarella came in three little balls, each topped with strawberry rhubarb compote, with one also topped with a leafy green substance (I'm not sure what it was called - sorry! But it was a nice complement), and another topped with fried basil (yum!) The tomatoes came in a round of fried balls which were accompanied by grated parmesan cheese and herb butter. The batter was thin and crispy, the tomatoes were firm, the butter and cheese melted and infused everything with flavor, it was all quite good.

For dinner I had a dilemma. There were two fish dishes that sounded good, one a crusted flounder and the other a nice piece of halibut. Both of those were quite tempting, but one other dish caught my attention: melted duck leg. I am a sucker for duck, it's one of my favorite meats, and when I see a good opportunity to get some it's usually hard to resist. So, it wasn't a big surprise when I let the fish choices cancel each other out and went for the duck leg. I was not disappointed. When our entree's arrived I received a thick leg with no fat served on top of sweet potato puree, wilted greens with onions, and an unidentifiable, darkly colored fruit sauce. It was so good; the meat was tender, flavorful, and fell right off the bone, while the skin was crispy (maybe it had been fried?) and provided a perfect contrast to the meat. Everything about it was delicious and pleasing, I was in heaven.

As fate would have it, we caved in and decided to get a dessert as well to split between the three of us. It too exhibited the same quality as the rest of the meal. I chose one of the sorbet flavors of the day: coconut, and we were rewarded with three mouthwatering scoops, just enough for us to split without feeling like we might explode from overindulgence. Much to our delight the coconut sorbet came served on top of three coconut macaroon squares which were sweet, chewy, and crunchy all at once and which paired nicely with the cool, smooth coconut.

Even without ordering anything particularly exotic I was in foodie paradise with the three enticing courses. Even the less adventurous members of my dinner party found tasty food that they too could enjoy. It was a treat for the palate, and it confirmed my belief that One. Midtown Kitchen still offers one of the best bites in Atlanta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home