Thursday, August 24, 2006

Breakfast, southern style

Breakfast when Trey stays over is one way to tell that he grew up with more southern influences than I did. This morning he requested that I make something that I'd never really had before, much less cooked. He wanted buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy (and then he wanted more sausage and scrambled eggs on the side). So, I set about looking for a recipe and cooking everything to the best of my ability, this was the result:



One of the things that helped out with making this was that I already had buttermilk in the fridge from when I made the buttermilk mashed potatoes the other night. The recipe I used to make the buttermilk biscuits was originally from epicurious.com, and it makes a dozen biscuits, but I couldn't imagine the two of us being able to eat that many before they dried out, so I cut the recipe in half and made six hearty biscuits instead.

The biscuits come out moist and flaky and delicious, I had one with the sausage gravy (as Trey suggested) and one with cherry preserves, which was also exceptionally tasty. Here are the two variations:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home