Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Poppy Seed Chicken

Back in the days before I had a food blog Craig used to invite me over for dinner for cooking lessons. Evenings like this entailed me going to the grocery with him and seeing what sort of things he got and then going to his house and helping him prepare dinner while watching attentively. It may not sound like the typical dinner party, but I loved it! One of the first things he taught me how to make was this super easy dish known as Poppy Seed Chicken. He said this was a secret family recipe, and by sharing it with me I was inducted into the family, I was quite pleased. I've made this dish a few times on my own since he first shared the recipe, but it's been ages since the last time I thought to make it. But recently it popped into my mind and I tracked down the recipe to whip up a dinner for Dad, Jon, and myself.

So, without further ado, I present Poppy Seed Chicken:


I'm not entirely sure how many people this serves. Maybe 4 hungry people, maybe more. But four seems like a good benchmark since there are 4 chicken breasts.

Ingredients:
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 oz package of mushrooms, sliced
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 small container sour cream
1 stack of Ritz crackers
1/2 stick of butter, melted
poppy seeds
salt and pepper

Instructions:
Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces. While you're doing this bring about a quart of water (you can also add chicken broth for flavor) to a boil.
When the liquid boils, add the chicken pieces. Reduce heat and allow to simmer gently while you prepare other ingredients (about 10 to 12 minutes).
Add mushrooms, soup, and sour cream to mixing bowl and mix well. Crush the Ritz crackers into crumbs and set them aside.
Preheat the oven to 325.
Drain chicken, and stir into mixture, adding salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture into medium sized casserole dish, and cover with cracker crumbs. Drizzle melted butter on top, and sprinkle generously with poppy seeds.
Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

Serving:
This goes well with peas cooked with pearl onions and spiral pasta tossed with olive oil. As you'll notice momentarily, that's how I served mine! But, I've also served it over rice before, and that was good too. Leftovers are perfectly good, but the topping is only crispy the first day, so enjoy it while it's there or add more crackers when you reheat.
There were my peas:

And this is what the whole thing looked like when served:


Dad and Jon literally raved over this dinner and both had seconds. Try it yourself and join the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home