Saturday, November 05, 2005

Something fishy

Craig and John are lovely people. After hearing that I made their famous poppy seed chicken the other night and it was well received, they invited me over for another cooking lesson. This is the first one I've had in quite a while! Craig came to the (false) conclusion that he has nothing more to teach me now that I'm a renowned (ha!) food blogger and am interested in food and cooking of my own accord. I'm in complete disagreement about this theory because Craig and John are great cooks, and I have plenty still to learn. Anyway, they finally thought I earned another cooking lesson, so I got to go to the grocery and the wine store with Craig and we picked out everything we needed to make a lovely fish dinner. Since my housemates don't appreciate fish, it's always great to have fish when I got out with people who appreciate it.
We decided on a recipe from The New York Times 60-Minute Gourmet by Pierre Franey

The recipe was fish soup, with croutons and a mixed green salad to go with it.



I really loved everything. The soup was substantial and flavorful. I loved the mix of fish. We added things to the recipe that weren't included in the original recipe, and I don't remember what all those things were, but the soup does allow you to be creative. For example we added some celery and fennel to the vegetables and I know Craig was pouring sherry or something in at the end for extra flavor. He also said he added a few strands of saffron one time and that was really good with it too. Maybe he will tell me later and I can add that information as well. But, this soup is very good and perfect for this time of year, give it a try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home